Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Normal Service Has Resumed

Yes, I was so organised.  Yes, I was so on top of everything.  Yes, I went away on holiday.  And yes, I now harbour the National Collection of dandelions on my plot at the Hill. Boo.

However, apart from the weeds, the rhubarb is also flourishing; the strawberries have flowers and I have cut half a dozen asparagus spears. Hurrah!

I set about whacking it all back into shape on Saturday late afternoon, and made some headway with weeding dandelions and the willowherb out of the paths, and trying to end up with all the cleavers in the compost bin and not wearing it home.  Not for nothing is is called the Velcro plant.

I saw Reg-next-plot at the clubhouse when I nipped in for a beer afterwards, and he offered me some onion seedlings, if I would like to go round and pick them up.

Once I'd collected the 30 seedlings in little pots on Sunday morning, I went straight to the Hill to plant them out.  They look robust and fizzing with life whilst standing proud in the pots; and like weedy slips of grass when planted out.  I do hope that they survive!

The good news is that all the seeds that I put in during my sow-fest before I went away are all up and raring to go - apart from a complete absence of tomatoes. Not sure why that is, and given that two of the varieties are from my trail of Marshall's seeds, I am a bit concerned as I have no spare seed.

I'll get the broad beans and peas of the bench at home and planted out at the weekend, something that will please Domino cat no end.

He says that it's a bit of a squash at the far right of the bench - look closely - and he would prefer not to have to share!

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back in the garden and blogland. Hope you had a good holiday and are ready and raring to go for summer. Sounds like things are coming along at the plot, although a shame about the tomatoes. I do love rhubarb and strawberries and will definitely be planting them in my new garden. Have a great week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend has kindly given me some of his spare tomato plants - of course 5 out of six of mine popped their little germinating heads out the compost the very next day - FOUR WEEKS after sowing!

      Delete
  2. Am very impressed that Domino is sitting NEXT to your pots and not on top of them . . .

    Congrats on the asparagus. I have one solitary spear visible at present . . . am muttering darkly about the likelihood of it all being dug up if my second attempt at growing this gorgeous veg fails :-( Telling myself that "it's still early" but I'm not sure I believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience, m'dear! Mine are in their fourth year, and still quite patchy. Mind you, if you saw Countryfile this evening, you would have seen asparagus being growing in the northwest (in Fylde, I think) in sand - are your crowns sulking with soil that is too rich/heavy, I wonder?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we did see that and had the same conversation about our soil. And there was me thinking that the raised bed would provide enough drainage? Have got some sand on the driveway leftover from "The Wall" building and one of today's tasks for Management is to help me move it to the veg patch.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're back have missed your updates

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...